Pages

About Me

Blog Archive

Thursday, February 8, 2007

The Gay Boxer part 2

so, now I've arrived and been driven to a town I'd never heard of before in Crete with promises that I'd enjoy as I was "english"...steady there...
It's 0300 in the morning, bag is thrown on the bed, the room isn't as bad as the scouser was making out and the smell hasn't made it that far yet.I'm happy just to have reached part 1 of my destination.
Time to find out what the strip is about that the taxi driver went on about so take a walk.what I came upon was a "Sodom and Gomorrah" in modern times.A sea of drunken Brits all trying to immitade becks and posh with the average age of 17. And for the first time in my life ever, I actually felt too old..You would keep walking down a winding street with hundreds of pubs opened towards the street with people shouting, pointing, dancing, necking and basically trying to impress each other with their plummage under the influence of booze.Each club and pub had invested a ton of money on louder sound sytems and each had their own "theme".The result was as bad as white noise..you had to be out on pills and booze to survive this, or 17 years old.i walked down in disbelief , feeling like a parent for the first time, grumbling things to myself and of course completely sober.It was time to get a beer.This in itself took me around 40 minutes as the choices were too multiple and too noisy. I finally sat myself down in a corner of the "Football club"..ironies here I feel.Two for one on the carlsberg.From my outpost for the o.a.p.s (old age pensioners) I scanned. Across the road I was happy to see a place that advertised 24 hour old british comedys shown, Only fools and horses and Porridge..(It would be packed every minute of the day despite the 30 plus degrees..).Reminds me of a telfor speech saying that the worst thing with the Brits abroad was the fact that we despised change, so all we need is fish n chips, all day comedys and snooker halls as well as a bit more sun. nevermind the new cultures, we used to own the world don't you know.So, there I was, wondering when the angels would ask me to leave this sodomy and reign hellfire down on the sodomites, but the only angels around we're the "hell" variety.I sat my ground thinking about a book title, "murder of a pedofil"... still, it was the weirdest thing to start being philisophical surrounded the way I was by a generation that I had completely forgotten about, I had once been the same, except I didn't wear heels and glitter tops..life was about getting as hammered as possible and the only responsibilty one had was to ensure that you didn't get arrested and end up getting wrapped up in wet blankets and given a truction beating..It seemed like light years away and I really didn't miss it but realised that maybe it was part of growing up anyway.Learning from mistakes.lets just say for the first time in my life, I really felt what growing up does to you and I almost wanted to go over and tell some people to go home as they had had enough, otherwise they may regret something and have to live with it.
But i didn't, I smiled at the girl collecting the glasses from the table, it was around 5 in the morning and I started the walk back to Hotel "Shitreek".I was happy I'd only paid for a few days and just pondered over the whole days activities, wasn't so long ago I was standing at Arlanda airport talking to someone who I wanted to be with me.Time to crash and look forward to the sun and a slow day tanning.At least that was something to look forwards too and at least I didn't have a wife that turned into a pillar of salt...

When I awoke it was around noon, I rushed out onto the balcony to discover clouds...

to be continued

No comments: