Pages

About Me

Blog Archive

Thursday, February 8, 2007

Does the sofa or the TV have a soul?

We already know people are different, people profiling can be interesting.
Personally, I'm what you'd call a collector..That means I have a hard time throwing anything away, which means living under the same roof can be a problem.

Now, there is a difference between collecting stuff as a hobby and simply not throwing away crap. I was on a course recently about the necessity to clear out mail boxes, throw away old letters and basically cut the crap away, its garanteed to minimize stress and give you a better karma and harmoni..

With this in mind I looked at all my bike magazines in the loft, some reaching back to 1978.
A first edition kerrang magazine with Angus Young voted guitarist of the year, 1981.
Small and large boxes full of paperwork from the 98 world cup from amsterdam, reciepts from pubs from the red light district, old notebooks from pre 85.Broken slr cameras, practika, mamiya, broken flash units, 2000 nuts n bolts, Harley davidson one off pistons with tags from Grass Valley, california..the list goes on and on.

Recently I had to offload a sofa, a tv and a car. It kinda hurt and thats what this peice is about. ceratin people couldn't give a rats.They see it as a step forward.Same people are those smiling at New year, I'm more the nostalgic type that remembers the good times of the previous year.
You see, silly or not everything to me brings backs memories, even the bad ones but mostly the good ones and the sharing of those memories seem to be really strong when its time to throw something out.
As I said, some people have said to me how ridicoulous that is..I believe I may have some Buddism in me then. I mean to say, people talk to their cars when they don't start, typ "please turn over you peice of ..." and of course it has to be a heart wrenching moment when the tv suddenly goes quiet for the first time after a long time.No?

I honestly believe this is the reason behind my problem of throwing things out.I have tried and improved having watched a Dr Phil special on similar freaks when it all goes wrong and they have to send in the experts to clean up the mess.

So, what kind of person are you? Is it to the skip without a shed of emotion or is it a frown, a last pat on the sofa, a last look at the car and papers when you hand it over to the scrappy.Can the 1200kr cover the miles of sitting in solitude, the arguments, the hellos and goodbyes.

Is there a soul, probably not.But I'm sure there is something more than bricks and mortar, sticks and stones and nuts and bolts when its time to retire something you've had for a while.
When I used to sit on my bikes and open them up flat out I used to hit over 250 km. The sound and pressure was hard and the only thing you could hear was what you were thinking and the vibrations through your rear.Many a time you would talk in that helmet when things started moving around a wee bit too much..you took care of them and they repaid you when it mattered with a wee word in the ear, or helmet as it was.

So, what kind of person are you?

áyé

No comments: