Pages

About Me

Blog Archive

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Chicago memory

Okay , before I hit the sack, today the mention of the states reminded me of a rather interesting meeting I had.

Whilst I was awaiting a flight in Chicago back in '90s (i was in the states as a hired bodyguard..another story),
I searched around to finally find the smoking area.It was a really small cornered off area and there were a few tables and that stench that even we smokers mind.
I was joined across the table by an older man.He was smoking really strong cigarettes that had a very individual smell.
We struck up a conversation based on the subject of his ciggs.He offered me one.It was strong.
It turned out he was bitter about the fact that the United states army had decided to decree that he was a hero and give him a bunch of medals, which he showed me.
He resented the entire idea of being a hero and said that you do stupid things when your shit scared and then 50 years later they make you dress up in old army clothes which were uncomfortable back then, but now even worst when you didn't need them.

He was so "matter about the fact" that he was a genuine WWII hero.The type he read about, the type you watch John Wayne recreating.And yet, he had nothing good to say about the whole affair.He was too old and too tired to catch an Atlantic flight to stand with people he didn't know to be reminded of those people who he did know who couldn't be there as they had died at the same place they would now lay a wreath. And he said he was no hero, just a guy who would have done what any other guy would have done.The difference was that he not only survived but had witnesses.

We shared our time and smoked his ghastly cigarettes that he had started smoking after his Europe trips and said farewell and good luck to each other.

I thought about this man today. I wonder if he is still alive and if not I presume he would have had a very colourful funeral with the 12 gun salute.
I hope he is still alive and smoking those ciggs on a porch somewhere.
lets face it, not everybody gets the privilege to meet the genuine article everyday.

áyé

No comments: