Pages

About Me

Blog Archive

Friday, March 12, 2010

Hot Rod #2

More work on the latest project (TVJones tele/Birdseye fatback).
I'll load up some pics today.
Anyway, recieved a neckplate today and tried to screw the neck to the body.Now then, I have been involved in a screw snapping in a tele body previously so this time I was gonna take it real easy.The body and neck were perfectly lined up which was really positive, the neck is a really tight fit in the pocket.
The screws however started getting really tight with a few mm's to go and the heat started..I got the impression that the starting holes weren't drilled deep enough and the screws were working overtime to bite into the birdseye. I also believe that such a tight birdseye could be tougher wood than normal Maple, but could be wrong.
Anyway, after several attempts I decided to get some teak oil and dripped the screws though some oil.They went thru like a hot knife thru butter.

Then I thought I'd gather the courage to put a hole through the front of the body for the single volume pot that I've planned. This would be a case of patience. I actually started making a really small guide hole using a very small screw driver top and then used a wood screw to break through. This worked out well.
I used black tape and opened up the hole more using a larger available screw. I was still several mm's down so it was time to start looking for an even larger drill bit. I used a wood drill bit ( only by hand, mind ) and then tried out two pot sizes. Still too small...so then I found a concrete drill bit which I used to smoothly open up the hole until I could push through an EMG 25k pot.

I lined up the volume pot with the string ferrule holes which will keep the pot right out of the way.I then got on line and decided to once again go for a 1 meg pot which I use Hot Rod #1 with the DF humbucker.
This time I've decided to go for a Dimarzio 1 meg pot.

So, the HR#2 is starting to look the business. Just have to get some tele style gold ferrules which can be sourced locally but which I will not fit until after I finish the body. The rest should be hopefully on the way across the Atlantic. Once they arrive its simply a question of bolting everything together...and then take everything apart for the finishing which is always the critical part of any project ,( obviously I'm taking it for granted the guitar will not be a pig in a poke , sounding wise or playing wise,) and having gone through the idea of staining...I'm now thinking of maybe doing a thinskin white nitro finish....from a spray can.....really thin...decisions decisions...

No comments: