Pages

About Me

Blog Archive

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

fitting the Dimarzio pot

So, finally the Dimarzio 1 meg pot arrived and once again I had to get some tools and sandpaper out last night to enlarge the hole for this pot for the TVjones Project with hotdog route.Only took a few minutes and she popped in like a glove.
Having tried out some different knobs, I stuck with a solid brass fender brass series knob that I bought NOS.
Not really sure why, but I chose to use mostly gold/brass hardware for this project, I think the dinasaur birdseye neck needs the gold mini schallers with pearloid buttons as well as a gold neck plate and string ferrules that haven't been fitted yet as I'm still gonna have to finish the body with Shellac or Danish Oil.
I have recieved a confirmation after a month that the Powertron bridge plus and bridge are in the post and on their way over the Atlantic. So hopefully the project will be up on its legs soon enough. Obvioulsy I'll tighten everything down before take-off. With the fatneck weighing almost as much as the body and the overall weight of the body being really light, I reckon this guitar will sound awesome!
There are a few questions left with regards the bridge, whether or not I'll cut it back and have the pup sitting on its own in the body like the Fender La cabrolita. Although I made a point of using a classic style tele bridge saddle arrangement on mine as opposed to 6 single saddles, as I feel you get more of a pluck n twang from this arrangement.The 6 saddle setup imo makes the strings feel almost too tight...I realise that doesn't make much sense...but it feels like the difference between tuning a set of strings between std tuning and a semitone down.And of course, thats why we build these, to play, so no point in copying something you don't "feel" as nice, eh..

No comments: