Pages

About Me

Blog Archive

Friday, March 26, 2010

Freedom Kids Guitar Upgrade..

Remember my sunday walk that ended up with me buying a Freedom kids guitar (3/4 size) for 150kr?

Well, its a timber body, maple neck with a maple cap fretboard, die-cast tuners and full size head. Amusingly it also has a fixed bridge which I see they advertise on ebay . You could strip some great parts off this effort, it has a full size tele/strat steel neckplate, a gibson style jackplate, both chrome, a chrome fixed bridge and a really nice neck for a midget guitar, shallow C shaped.Pics have been added previously..

Anyway, having fixed the jackplug I then simply had to replace the pickup...Having ripped it out I noticed it sat on two springs and had a ceramic magnet underneath with tape keeping the wire together. Chingchong pish I reckon, so I ripped it out and realised that the best pup to nitro this kiddie fiddle would be one of my 78 original Dimarzio SDS 1s. Its a close call with the strings, but it fits and sounds magic.
Not sure where the single pot comes from, its tiny but does its' job well. They even went to the trouble of adding an earth wire through the body to the fixed bridge.
To finish off I decided to add the kahler solid brass stratocaster style volume knob.Looks the dogs bollox.

Restrung and loadsafun! Just like EVH, you gotta have a mini guitar in the collection, this one just got even better. Running at around 1000kr recommended price with a 5W amp, I reckon its a quality effort for a kiddies guitar. Now its hot rodded and tuned up ,I love it when a plan comes together!

pics to follow..

No comments: