Pages

About Me

Blog Archive

Thursday, March 1, 2007

Turn the Page Part 1 of 16

Countdown has begun like "Logans Run" and my crystal is turning colour (NB: only sci-fi nerds will understand this..).

Mission now is to cover a wee memory every day leading up to the day I turn the page and start looking forwards to stage 3.

"Stoned at the Stones"
So my first story is the time I headed up to Basel, Switzerland to watch the Rolling Stones on their "lets spend the night together" tour. I believe the date was '85 (still have the tour shirt..).
Anyway, I was in Switzerland with my best school mate at the time from Scotland and on the train up we stupidly decided to smoke for the first time, an illegal cigarette. I remember this well as it was grass stuffed cunningly in a Marlboro paper and filter setup. back then you could smoke on the train ( I believe you probably still can in Baltic country's..)
Well you can imagine the excitement. Stoned at the Stones....

Of course we ended up completely gaga for around 4 hours and just sat outside the stadium wondering what the hell went wrong..All we were missing we're a drip and a straw. We must have looked horrendous. My mate couldn't stop staring at breasts which I found quite amusing as his reaction time was so slow due to the weed that he hardly noticed them staring back and telling him off..
Once in we kept waiting for the effects to wear off but no, this wasn't the case.
J. Geils band kicked off and I only remember their big hit wonder "centerfold".
The Stones were mesmerizing.Seriously toight and professional and the weather and whole spectacle was a memory not to forget..My mate did though, he stood on a chair the entire concert and stared down a cleavage and kept prodding me to look..He's now a rock photographer who travels the world, last time we talked he mentioned Motley Crue and backstage groupies..

Anyway, gig over we managed to catch a cab.I had to do an imitation to the cab driver of a choo choo train as he was asking if we wanted to go to the Bahnoff SBB.(Swiss German aint no french.)
The end of the story would have been simple if only we hadn't got off at Nyon, miles from Geneva at around 0100 in the morning. So, of course we decided to walk the 25 + miles back home, on the autoroute. Illegal of course. But we'd already been through the beer, the weed and the Stones experience so we're ready to take on the Pigs , man (?)..
Well, not really.
After a couple of miles walking (in cowboy boots of course from Jacque Cuir, Geneve) we weren't as enthusiastic and the cops turned up. It was at this point that my rebel attitude turned to self preservation and I handed Police Inspector KiddyMolester a card that my father had given me if such a situation would arise. We we're told to move on (we hadn't made the autoroute by this point..) and we felt as if we ruled.Well..indeed.rebels without a clue.
Once we made the autoroute both nostrils started spurting blood. As mentioned previously I'd been cauterized several times for this problem and of course now both started gushing..
So there we are, middle of nowhere, covered in blood, walking in cowboy heels with the sun coming up and completely exhausted..We made a drive in area and I decided there was only one thing left for it.
Thanks Dad..

Coming soon:
The Ramones and the stomach pump, St Marys Glasgow..
Sharing a Crate with Cliff Burton and a long night in Soho, London
Hells Angels , powder and Claymores
Snövit,Police surveillance Mr Johnson, who are you?
London Dungeons, Anthrax and the prostitute.
Daytona, Disney and dust..
Alastaro, 15 crates and a road race
"Gjutjärn Bastu" and a dilemma
The Sigtuna Sailing experience..

yes indeed, it's time to Turn the Page
and much much more :-)

No comments: