Pages

About Me

Blog Archive

Friday, March 2, 2007

Turn the Page 2 of 16; St.Marys, Ramones, Comfort and the stomach pump..

They say that the best events happen when you dont have any expectations and haven't planned them. You know what I mean, how many times have you planned to go out for weeks or organised a party and been lef’ disappointed afterwards. But the best times have been off the cuff..

To be honest I can't remember how we found out about the Ramones playing at the barrowlands in Glasgow , I simply remember putting on my stonecake "It's Alive" and persuading my mates that we simply couldn't miss them.
I had first listened to the Ramones when I was 9 years old, having bought a punk record just because it had a song on it whose title got me interested , Patti Smiths "piss factory". On the same record was "Sheena is a punk rocker"..I was sold.(Nb*I actually got into a lot of trouble listening to this record as I was in Public School and the punishment I received was to listen to the 1812 Overture with the Housemaster when caught with a bunch of mates headbangin' to Sheena..)

So we headed to Glasgow.Of course. we ended up in a small playground with bags of spirits and started drinking as only teenagers can..My favorite then was Southern Comfort.I managed to swallow a 75an in around 15 minutes.Looking back this was probably down to the fact that I couldn't stand the taste and simply drank as soon as possible.You have to understand that mixing spirits within our gang simply wasn't possible.So we each had our own favorite;Southern comfort, jack Daniels, Pernod(?) and of course Smirnoff.

The next hour is fairly vague. I remember feeling like Bambi trying to take my first steps as well as Kicking one of my friends in the bollox as he tried to grab me (he was an American and unfamiliar with the "Scottish way"..)Welcome to the world of alcohol poisoning.
My mates got me to St Marys hospital, asked me if I was okay (my response was "gaga") and took my ticket and left.I was stomach pumped, "God blessed me, dressed me and shaved me" and kicked me back onto the streets.They don't hold down beds for piss heads in Glasgow on a Saturday night..So, looking as pale as the Holy ghost I headed towards the Barrowlands.

Once outside I of course realised I had no ticket.Getting in front was never going to work so I hung around and went to the backstage area.Obviously Fate wanted me not to miss this band as I managed to get through a door that was obviously there for loading gear and slightly ajar.As I walked up cautiously I noticed a bouncer who simply looked at me and let me through.

The Ramones had already started but just to hear the "1,2,3,4" and those first riffs of "chainsaw" had me rushing down at the front and mixing it up with a bunch of punks, skins, pyscobillies, you name it they make the front and you just lose it!!Once it was all over I went outside and met up with my mates who couldn't believe I'd made it.However, they had also decided that it was a sensible idea to let my mother know..thanks a lot...the broomstick came out the next time we met..

I saw the Ramones three times and despite trying to get as caned on booze never made the same level.One of the benefits of being born in the 60s!
May they Riff in Peace!
Joey Ramone died of cancer 15 april 2001 .
Dee Dee Ramone found dead in Hollywood of an overdose 5th june 2002
Johnny Ramone died of prostate cancer 15 september 2004
áyé

No comments: