Pages

About Me

Blog Archive

Thursday, March 8, 2007

turn the page 7 of 16..Burns unit and 999(pt 1 of 2)

Its past tense 7.
I was single for the first time in a long time and it had been my choice. But due to the culture shock had become a big fan of Tequila and Orange juice, what my friend deemed call a "Driver.."
So we would head out monday to monday on the town and as I worked as a Bar Manager we had VIP to all the late night after works. Most of the 7 months are now like a scene from Excaliber but one night would change my life and bring God into the picture.

I was once again out at Club Dacke. My mate worked there and some of the rugby lads and gals went there and simply got down and out on Ginbyme's and Drivers. I remember it was a night were I dodged the overhead spots as I had finally realised I was loosing my hair..so dancing it wasn't to be..

I remember walking home, at least 2 kms back to my bachelor pad which was an extremely cool top flat in a house which had a tower on the side with stairs that led up to my top floor flat.
Once home I switched on the cooker and put some olive oil in the cast iron frying pan with the idea of making some food.
All of a sudden I realised I'd dropped and spilled the contents of the frying pan onto my right foot..Due to the amount of alcohol in my system I couldn't have reacted so fast but my first instinct was to call the ambulance as my foot was a red and brown colour.
I dialled "999" and waited...nothing
I dialled 999 and nothing again..Well I mean to say, there wouldn't be would there..
So I managed to squeeze on a pair of black leather shoes over the burns now feeling a pain on my top lip that was also burned.I ran down to my Golf Mk1 Gti and off I went, full speed to the hospital..
The rest comes from court case witnesses as its too vague for me.Apparently I had been driving like Shumaker when 2 cyclists had come out of nowhere, no stopping at stop sign and making me swerve right. Now, facts are facts , if I hadn't been that drunk I wouldn't have over reacted so quickly.
As it was the sharp right I took to miss the cyclists that were around 30 metres away took me over a large grass embankment, missing a tree by a metre and going into the front of a stone building at over 100km/h.I do remember hitting the brakes and shouting something like "ah shit..." before hearing a massive smashing sound and eating the windscreen, steering wheel and engine..
So, there I sat. Trapped in the car like a sardine in its tin but without a quick pull to get me out.
I was alive, delirious and scared. I couldn't get out.And I started worrying about fire...I started freaking out big time trying to get out..
At this point a woman poked her head in and said she had phoned the police and ambulance. And, maybe she could ask her husband to talk to me as he was ...English..
Now, keep in mind the situation I really didn't mean to be rude, but an Englishman wasn't exactly what I needed and he heard that, "get ti fukk ya frikken bastarr"...etc..
The fire brigade, ambulance and police arrived and all I remember were the jaws breaking the roof off and looking left to see somebody use a syringe on me...and that was that......

When I opened my eyes I saw a rather attractive nurse dressing my right foot. She said she was new and would have to leave as the stench of the burns were making her feel bad. I asked her if she knew what had happened, had I been in a taxi crash?She knew nothing.
I managed to make it to a phone on crutches and phoned a friend and asked if she could go around and see if my car was in the parking lot.It wasn't and at this point I had no recollection.
Two policemen turned up and informed me that I had been in a car accident and that I'd register a blood content of 2.4 per mil..I had no idea what I was doing in my car and was worried if anyone else was injured.No was the reply.
At this point I did what I really didn't want to do.I bought a packet of smokes and went out onto the roof to ponder.I hadn't smoked for three months and had instead started long distance cycling with a friend.But boy I remember draggin on that cigarette..
My best mate who had been working at Club Dacke turned up in his land rover and drove me first to the scene of the accident. It was frightening to see the track marks and black brake marks leading up to the stone wall, reminded me of "The time machine"..I realised then how lucky I had been.
Then we went off to where the car had been taken. It wasn't a car anymore. I felt sorry for it.Ironically the fuel injection system had already been nicked off it by the workshop boyz..

This was to be part one of a part two, as just as I thought things couldn't get worst, they did...

áyé

No comments: