Despite having parts lying around, once again I'm having to go out on the web and find some quality parts for the latest project that has a "january" budget.
I wasn't actually intending on even starting a project but when the swamp ash 3 tone sunburst body came up with a light weight of 3,14 it was a "must have"..
I was intending on taking parts off the mint green/white single humbucker project...but to be honest it's such a great sounding guitar, despite the fact that I changed the squire JV 3 bolt to a 4 bolt, its one great sounding guitar...so it stays complete..
So, there are some good deals out there.
Currently on the way are 2 pickguards..both pearloid..
The MM Body is exactly what I've been looking for to take the SRV signature neck. I'm surprised at the prices they can sell a USA made Swamp ash finished body..but at the same time it's a gloss 3T body which is a poly finish..doesn't really matter , it's the weight imo that makes things work..and of course..a steel block.
As the original tuners in the neck are SRV gold..I've decided to stick to the gold harware route which I feel will work with the pearloid and especially the 3 tone tobacco burst body.
As I don't want to remove the bridge from the M/S EVH style strat, I'm thinking of going a bit more modern with the bridge but keep the steel block as the zinc blocks you usually find in MIJ's make a huge difference to the tone.
After looking around at the options with regards the budget, I reckon this Wilkinson is the best on offer...with stainless string blocks and steel block as well as the whole semi modern look but with the 6 vintage style fixtures..at the price I feel it should fit the project well..
...and the under the guard I'm going with a seymour duncan Malmsteen speed pot.These frictionless pots are amazing..you breathe on them and they just slide so smooth! However, I was gonna go with a CTS 300k for the humbucker , but will do with a 250K for the project...highly recommended!
Time will tell of course, as the first round with the Minty/white sounded aweful and that has given me some experience on this build..
I was toying with the idea of sticking a Dimarzio super distortion humbucker in the bridge as that would marry up with the SDS-1 in the neck position.
Time will tell...a table full of parts doesn't equate until it's plugged and played..will be interesting this one...
- ► 2015 (39)
- ► 2013 (81)
- back to the smoking stacks tomorrow
- Bike weekend.
- plans for the 77..
- Legend. Tone legend.thats all folks...
- so..delighted with the srv neck project which so...
- ..out of the ashes of 1 project..comes others...
- pics from the workshop today...
- Nickel n Gold musical chairs...
- P#3 Body arrived today
- Bandage removed!
- Project #3T
- Only EVH would remove the neck pup
- No Right hand but time on my hands...
- Steve Jones Aged Les Paul Custom shop
- todays exotica included...
- lurking Fuzz...and some BassBalls...
- favorite album cover..taken from a 1976 Hustler fr...
- completely random but cool pic
- just as well be with the trash...
- testing a few of the pedals with the Washburn Bant...
- The most insane bike ever built?..it's up there......
- Just a cool pic of a cool chic..Juliette Lewis
- things may be different after tomorrow, Jim..
- To look forward to...
- YEC pistons for R1 show same indentation as myster...
- OW01 titanium rod and piston
- work in progress part 2
- Right then..check list..
- ▼ January (35)
- ► 2011 (100)
- ► 2010 (281)
- ► 2009 (98)
- ► 2008 (67)