Pages

About Me

Blog Archive

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Bike weekend.

On saturday I took the trip down the road to the Bike show in Gothenburg.
16€ later and I was off into a sea of motorcycles, mopeds, helmets and accessories.
To date, I have never purchased a new motorcycle and probably never will either.And to be honest, looking around the stands there wasn't much I would buy.
The theme for 2012 seems to be over done with huge touring chopper whatevers..with nasty paint schemes and horrendous prices...kinda gave me flashbacks to "orange county choppers" who , in my opinon, have never built a decent looking bike since they started...in fact, I would go as far to say that the yanks just don't have the eye for building decent choppers/bobbers/customs. Scandinavian chopper designs are much cleaner and better built and thats just the beginning...
..and at the MCM stand a few nice bikes were shown in a competition for best bike.
Otherwise the new "Victory" bikes were not my taste at all..and the Harleys..my god..I'll post pics of some of the "efforts" on show..the average age of those testing these bikes was Jurassic Period..I don't get it...but good for them if they feel cool driving around on something resembling a lucas ice cream van:


Apparently the lads of Motorhead have their own "victory" bikes..I was stopped and asked one of the younger girls handing out the adverts where the bikes were built...the answer I got was interesting...
- well, I know the drummer is Swedish..but the rest are ..like Americans I think...
I meant the bikes, I replied...
-Oh, America I think...
ok, thanks...incidentally..Lemmy is American ...I said
-Oh..which one is Lemmy...

hmmm...

Moving on and I got talking to some enthusiasts with the same interests which was very informative..a quick chat with Thomas from Motorspeed was followed up by a look at some marvelous bikes from a museum that were on show and had the rather remarkable "flying merkel"...

Now thats what I call a Bike!!! This was back to back with a Patton 500, a gorgeous blast from the past and a bike I've never seen before in the flesh..this however was a modern day replica..1 of 7 but who cares! I'll post pics at a later date that I took of the bikes.

Moving on and trying to avoid the "chopper space ship gliders"....I suddenly came across Checas Ducati superbike which was fresh from his winning 2011 season.This was followed by an incredible Honda Fireblade endurance racing..pics to come ...suffice to say , just the Öhlins forks had the same cost as a brand new fireblade! Swinging arm was HRC and crafted by the dwarfs of Mordor! I had a long chat with the mechanic who gave me some in-depth on the costs and technical datas of the project!

Right, think I'll stop there until I've uploaded the pics!

No comments: