Pages

About Me

Blog Archive

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Sometimes...


Having had a quick look at my mates mate which included the revealing of a Rhoads signature jackson, it got me flicking the ipod to the live tribute album and once again listening to a genius.
I think there are some records that really made an effect down the road. As I've always liked live records, you'd not be surprised by the list.
First one around 78/79, AC/DC, If you want blood...Riff Raff had me hooked from the off..Thin Lizzy, Live and dangerous..straight away you heard something special..The Ramones, It's Alive..need I say more..
Believe it or not my mother bought me those records in the local record shop...I only wanted them as they had cool covers..I'm paying the price today..
Down the years and now again you just heard something that was amazing.
The live tribute album to Randy Rhoads is just that, frikken amazing.Obviously the writing ability between Ozzy and Randy must have worked out well, but thats another tale. Its the way the guy manages , (in my opinion)above all else, to push out the rhythm of the songs connected by the most incredible fills that keep everything together and simply turn the rhythm /lead into something amazing!
I obviously had to buy the Tab book of the album to try and find out what it was all about, and simply laughed when I looked through the tab pages.It's funny because you get some fairly simple rhythm tab and in about 16 seperate boxes spread around the page of tab, are fills that are done all over the shop.
Obviously theres more to it than that.The difference here, is that I reckon Randy Rhoads was one of only two guitarists who could play fast but still keep the passion and soul in the music. The melodys, harmonics and something comes out.The other guitarist who I feel has the same ability is Edward van Halen.
Both can shred and yet put feeling thru the shred. Thats how I get it.

Now, obviously I'm a dinasaur and there may be guys that others think can do the same etc.. etc..but in my opinion, the way EVH and RR do their solos is very personal and you can feel that whatever the guitar.

Right, if you haven't listened to the tribute album, then do so and you'll end up sitting on some public transport with your ipod on max and laughing out loud as Randys version of Children of the Grave blasts out!

No comments: