Pages

About Me

Blog Archive

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Recording Base Camp



So here we have what will be a start to the setting up of a few amps and cabinets, microphones and of course a sound card to be decided..

decisions decisions...looking at the different software and the way that I'm looking at recording,its a jungle. The software available is of course all very good, from Cubase thru Pro tools and the rest.
I'm sure you can emulate pedals and cabinets and get a good result, but I reckon its more fun to stick a mic infront of a cabinet and get the sound after the loop has gone through some analog Ibanez pedals from the late seventies and early eighties..

As usual I'm going into this more for the enjoyment and intrepidation of the whole idea than trying to produce something that will be knocking down doors.Thats what its all about in my opinion, having some fun and doing your best.As long as your trying your best you can't fail!
...been working on some really simple rythms which I'm hoping will work when overlayed.With the emphasis on "keep It Simple Stupid", I'm hoping that the melodies come out of the simple chord and finger picking progressions. The voicing and phrasing being paramount ( been picking up the buzz words..thanks to Steve Vai on Youtube..)..
back to reality..and I'm currently sitting in the Citadel of glass listening to Rush and Freewill...from the most recent live " Snakes and Arrows" CD..Been a fan since I watch them at the Edinburgh Cattlemarket hall in 1981..
What is very impressive about Rush is the way that each musician just tries to squeeze the most juice out of each intrument..I don't even think its too much that Lifeson sticks Floyd Roses on his Gibsons..it works for his style..Bass is lead, Guitar is lead and of course Peart on the drums..lead..
This got me thinking...Rush are really crossing over into that Jazz ideology of the leads, then rythms, then leads..Maybe you wont understand what I mean..anyway..frikken magical and has been for over 30 years!

No comments: