Pages

About Me

Blog Archive

Thursday, September 24, 2009

tutorial on "no loading" your pots



So now , with two 500k CTS pots sitting around and doing nothing, I decided to follow this tutorial.Still awaiting a pup before I can wire up the guitar, but otherwise everything is in. I'm going with a Mastertone pot which Ive attacked with nail polish.We shall see how things pan out.The 5 way switch is in, the shielding tape is mounted and the 5 way switch and 2 pups fitted..can't wait!

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/pots.htm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks very interesting, i am very curious to read about how it sounds after this mod

"Gonzo" said...

Well I now have the simpler 2 pot master tone and Volume set up on a one of the strats which is running:
Vintage 70s Dimarzio FS1 Bridge (alnico 5)
Seymour Duncan aps alnico 2 staggered middle (lefty)
Eric Johnson CS neck alnico 3
I took apart the pot and followed the instructions using nail polish.
The pots a cts 500, simple to take apart and put together.
The result is great in my opinion.If I did another (which im working on) I'd probably but a no load pot as theyre only 6 bucks..
You can really hear the difference when the master tone is wide open, almost a coarse sound, a bit rougher in a way when you hear the pups going straight thru and no cap sapping juice.
I'd recommend having a shot.I also feel working the tone is easier and really works across the lot.
The mic of alnico pups is interesting, especially with a reverse wound alnico 2 lefty in the middle.
I'm gonna build another set with a neck and bridge blender, but retain the master tone .
I'm also working on getting some sound bytes up on this site to give an idea of the gear , mods and sounds.