Pages

About Me

Blog Archive

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Just get on with it...



Having been away a few days with work I was happy to return to loads of parts that had finally arrived from the states.An eric johnson neck pup, fatboy guitar parts and of course the neck and neck plate.

As I measured up the 4 bolt neck plate to the 3 hole body,I wondered if I should dare to do this myself.I made a quick call to the local luthier who mentioned he was busy but may have a look at the project...next week..

Stuff that, can't wait..only waiting for a piclup to arrive and I need some wire and a pot...although I havent decided on 500k or 250 k.And to make matters worst, I'm thinking of setting up a master tone pot as Rory Gallagher had and SRV..I could still use a tone pot as a neck pup blender..then there is a question of taking apart the CTS pots and making them "no load " pots..I have a CRL 5 way switch and 2 500k pots with a cap already soldered on.500k pots brighten up single coils...This may be worth an experiment anyway, after all I already have Sami with 250ks and scatterwounds..
So anyway, after work I went past the local harware store and bought three drill bits, 4,5 and 6mm bits.Got home ,made a template out of paper,outlined the bottom of the neck and starting drilling..what the hell I thought, just do it.
Within 60 minutes I had an aged neckplate holding the neck in place without any issues..just saved myself some cash and time..Guitar looks awesome and weighs very little..
So, decision is probably to go with the 500k pots with a master tone and a dummy pot.
My ear is too bad to seriously notice and I always play with the tone wide open..so question is if I make it a no load pot..
This guitar should be interesting anyway, and thats the point with this specific project.
The pups are alnico 5 in the tail and a vintage Dimarzio FS-1
The middle pup is a Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II Reverse Single Coil Pickup with staggered poles for a left hander..
neck pup an alnico 3 Eric Johnson Fender Custom shop
Making the tone pot a "no load" should get more character outta the pups when increasing the volume apparently...But I'm not 100% yet if I'm going down this road..
But Master Tone will be on the cards and of course a 5 way switch.

I'll get some pics for posting when its up and running..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Inspiring....

think ill write a wee blog maself.

the ex gaffer.

:-)