Pages

About Me

Blog Archive

Saturday, February 13, 2010

"Fixxa bitza"

A while back I decided to buy an SQJV 83 body.A 62 body with a three screw fixture.
At the same time I bought a trem block from the same period and apparently from a jV series.I built up a guitar and...wheres the tone? something wasn't right..bit like having a cylinder thats missing..so I ripped her apart and measured the trem block , only to discover it was smaller and lighter than the gold fender deluxe trem block I had on sami Mk1.
Feeling gutted at the amount of time and effort , the parts wandered elsewhere and I was left with a really nice relic in olympic white.
After a trip down to the Silv I looked at all the guitars and we discussed the EVH charvels, kramers and his own..
I tried again with the body..stuck in twin 78 dimarzio sds 1s and the warmoth birdseye pro neck..sounded awesome!

But once again pots were removed to finish another project etc..
So, I'm left with a bitza and now its on its third rebuild, bit of a scrap yard challenge bit with some nice parts.
I have an original Gibson dirty fingers pup thats going in the tail.Fantastic pup that I originally had in the Gibson les Paul.I really like the mint green on white so I scoured the net and finally found one in mint green with a humbucker route and 1 hole for a volume pot.I have a 500k pot which should do the trick.Neck wise and its between 2 rosewood necks , one of which needs a fretting.

The ultimate in bridge pups imo.This one is ink stamped and sounds amazing!


So, once the guard is here its out with the chisel again and take out the right amount of wood.I wouldn't do this if it wasn't for the fact that I've already worked on the sqjv body.Its got the classic toothpicks and glue mod after I made it a 4 hole, but it will work well.
I'll put some pics up once its done.

4 comments:

Musician, guitarist said...

See, now you getting closer to the truth!
Silv

"Gonzo" said...

I'll use that as the name of the beast.."truth"

Anonymous said...

Wow. You've got a bunch of beautiful guitars. Mind telling me how the NOS Telecaster with the bronze features plays? Cheers :]

Joram

"Gonzo" said...

The 78 telecaster with the andy summers style bridge and soon NOS fender brass gear sounds great!
The brass bridge leaves a note kinda ringin longer..hard to explain..i have a brass bridge in a 3,75Lb body and this tele 7LB body and you almost get the same kinda ring..but not exactly the same.Obvioulsy the weight of the 78 tele and the pickups all make the difference..soon, once I have the recording gear up, the plan is to leave some sounds on here.