Pages

About Me

Blog Archive

Friday, February 12, 2010

The Album Covers Prt 1..but first..

If you didn't get the chance to watch the documentry about Joy Division on SVT 1, you can watch the entire 90 minuter on SVT play here;
http://svtplay.se/v/1880574/k_special__joy_division

I can recommend it.What it shows once again is that chemistry works.The right mix of talent and drive and the results are surprising.
Post-Punk period is as important as the punk era which of course ties together the rebirth of Rock in the NWBHM, or New wave of brtish heavy metal and of course as written the importance in the blues revival by artists like SRV making his lightnin' hopkins style texas twang become a hit across the globe.
Joy division are on another yet very important plain.If you were in Britain you'll understand how things were. I do like the remark that it was time to move on from the two syllabyle "fuck off" to...well, watch the doc.(great bass sound imo)
Another repetition in a way that we come across to the post punk bands is the importance of the Sex Pistols in the way that many thought they could play better and started a band.Keep in mind that that message was given to the likes of the pistols, the clash and other bands, by the Ramones in '77 when they played in London and had about 90% of what was gonna be the British punk scene, back stage asking questions.

And this to me keeps me going! I'm not a natural talent who can shred up and down a neck and put music together blindfolded whilst playing scrabble.But do have a drive and I know, just like the famous for 15 minutes comment, that I can get something recorded that will be mine.Others can be smug and who cares, see the beginning of punk, post punk and all the rest..same message really, a bunch of chord, barr chords even, and an attitude.
I'm used to hanging out with people who have more talent that I have in their own right.Racing motorcycles on the road race track as well as drag track, and sure, I came across faster and more talented people.Coaching rugby on the International stage and club level with 4 gold medals , and the same there, better, braver, fitter, faster and more naturally talented players than I could ever imagine to be.
And now, music, plus ca change...however, the same string theory applies throughout-I was never frustrated at not being number 1 and I always had a great craic!

So the time has come to start thinking about a concept and get it down.A sound is already in the tank.The musical equation I looking at is:
Gangsta rap + punk + post-punk + blues + rock = ????????
the bass booms and flicks in the NWA works for me, the indie guitar rythms in post punk and the WTF attitude in punk, mixed with blues rock and of course lets not forget the jazz, the Slayer..christ..

After the documentry I thought about covers..I like the idea that despite not being the reincarnation of Hendrix..my DNA gives me an individual Fingerprint that is mine..
so, Album covers part one...



No comments: