Pages

About Me

Blog Archive

Monday, November 30, 2015

Greco Custom Order 70's


Well the double neck arrived eventually.
I say that as it only took a day from japan, but 7 days at the customs due to a fuck up..

So I was happy to finally go and pick it up. And I have to say I'm more than happy with what was in the box!

I'm scoured the net to see if there are any other double necks with the same features but nothing has come up. As you can see, there are a few deviations to the norm. Apparently guitars were made at the same place Greco and Ibanez were made. That actually explains a few things.
The pickups are Ibanez super 70's. covered and uncovered. what an impressive humbucker! I did some reading about them and apparently they are unpotted and use alnico 8 for the magnets.
The positional markers on both necks are also a mystery. look class I reckon, and would rather have them like this than the std. Gibson copy. Bit more JM in these..
I haven't been able to find one other Mij double neck with the same fenderesque pickup switches in the middle scratch plate. I wonder if this was also a one-off?
Then you have the tails that are longer down the body. Apparently Jimmy page ordered his one-off EDS with this as one got better sustain. Once again, whoever ordered this back in the day knew what he/she wanted. According to the advert the necks are maple and the body Mahogany.
Finally, you have 18 Greco top end metal tulip tuners at the end of necks. quality written all over them, also high end parts and once again I can't find the same type when scouring the net.

So I reckon I found a real pearl of a double neck. I'd love to know who ordered it initially.
sounds fantastic and plays really easy. The setup is spot on.



No comments: