Pages

About Me

Blog Archive

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

...keep the dayjob...

Starting to play football at my age is a bit different. Whilst most were out and about kicking a round ball in the park, I was locked up in an instituition where football was regarded as a commoners game and only the purist sports of rugby, land hockey and cricket were allowed, alongside Fives and Squash...I even managed to get caned for listening to unsuitable records with patti smiths "piss factory" and the Ramones "sheena is a punk rocker".....

So now, at the tender age of 41 I head off every monday and tuesday to try and impress my self and the teams that I can play this universal game...confidence is high..
..and then comes the reality that I'm no more than a token who gets a few minutes to keep me quiet. "Keep your dayjob" kinda thing and it bugs me to hell, well it would. Despite having acceptable pace and fitness, the main problem is that I resemble a bunny rabbit under the headlamps as soon as I get a ball around my feet.

I will struggle on. As a friend remarked to me yesterday after an intresting korp game which ended with a fight, two red cards and a 2-2 draw, "it's just not your game ".Maybe I have two high expectations, as the photo above shows "Mr Happy Face" despite a 5-1 win AND they made me Capt, my disappointment is obvious..can't imagine what I'd look like on a 5-1 thrashing..

No comments: