Pages

About Me

Blog Archive

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Tinker taylor soldier spy...


Always been a tinkerer..


Nowadays its guitars, as you've probably read.
The guitar in question is my Jimmy Page Les Paul Signature from 95.
Now, most people would be happy and keep her as she is, but I'm not most people.
Just like Jimmy Page, I'm not satisfied with the t500 ceramic pickup in the bridge, or the abr tunamatic or the very heavy and tone destroying bridge.
Otherwise , the 59 light honeyburst has the lot, 4 pots with phasing, tapping, single coil tap and the only guitar that can join the buckers together to make one massive sound.
So, what's the guts? Well, basically I wanted some vintage pups, as page would have had when he got the original from Joe Walsh, and the ceramics are way too much. The T500 has the same Ohms output as a dirtyfingers/Iommi humbucker, and that on a 59 replica? Naaa
So, how to find a 4 conductor non potted alnico 2 or 5 humbucker?
I was very lucky to find another luncatic in the world in ebay who had exactly that, a Gibson 57 burstbucker which had been rewould to 4 conductor, unpotted and an alnico 5 polished magnet stuck in, final result was 8,6 on the readout.I'll update when its fitted.
8,6 is okay as a neck pup, even back then, but I'm gonna use it as a bridge and stick a modified Burstbucker 59, reound to 4 OR a Seymour Duncan 59 which I just found on ebay.
This is only a start to try and get to that Holy Grail sound for under $450 000 of an original, I found bits and bobs which I'm adding and which will make the beast a relic looking and sounding monster. (I do realise its in the wood, but 95 is 95 and it has the correct JP neck with eliptical mod).
So, 59/60 original Grover Patent Pending tarnished gold tuners on the way
60's original gold (but worn) under an ounce lightweight alloy tailpiece
68/69 Les Paul custom gold (worn) Pat Pend Tunamatic bridge
I spend some of my birthday cash on cleaning gear for the guitars and they all had their rosewood and pau ferro frets cleaned as well as Martin wax on their nitro finish. Take care of them and they take care of you!
(Even the Univox hi-flier worked better after some juicy lucy on the fret board)
So, can't wait to get all the parts together, solder up the pups and put it through the onloan Davoli baby Valve amp that just can't be described...I'll upload a pic at some point...the sound is..clean and 50's..
Speak soon

No comments: